Local Italian eatery Numero 28 quickly became a neighborhood favorite when it opened its doors a couple of years ago and began serving up Neapolitan pizzas, delicious pastas, perfect espresso drinks and gelato galore. Now, it's building on that success with its newly-opened space next door: Alimentari 28, a casual Italian bakery and cafe that already feels like home.
Meet the women of the 2SD in Austin, Texas. This month: Rochelle Rae, founder and owner of Rae Cosmetics.
February 14 is fast approaching here in the 2SD (and everywhere), and happy hearts are setting their sights on the perfect way to spend the evening. Reservations around town are filling up fast, but never fear: Valentine's Day in Austin's 2nd Street District offers a plethora of ways to treat your honey right. Ready to spoil the object of your affection? Read on for menu specials and gift ideas galore.
Taste the Romance: Valentine's Day Restaurant Recommendations
Sink your teeth into some New American cuisine at The Bonneville, which offers a sumptuous 4-course prix fixe menu ($65 per person) on the 14th, including smoked mushroom tian, ricotta agnolotti pasta with mini chicken meatballs, warm lobster nicoise, tiramisu and more. Dinner comes with a complimentary Persephone Punch, and you can add wine pairings for $30.
Can't decide between surf and turf? Have both in style at III Forks, offering a three-course prix fixe menu ($160 per couple) from February 10 through 14. It includes dinner for two featuring filet mignon and coldwater lobster tails served with whipped potatoes, off-the-cob cream corn, vine ripened tomatoes and spring onions, and chocolate lovers' dessert. Additional wine pairings and champagne are on offer to make the evening pop.
Lovers of the grape, rejoice: CRU Food & Wine Bar on 2nd Street is serving up a perfect 4-courses Valentine's meal with your choice of filet of sole with crawfish nantua, roasted mushrooms and jumbo asparagus; beef tenderloin with pommes puree, haricot verts and green peppercorn sauce; or lamb loin with provencal vegetables, roasted baby yukon gold potatoes and sauce choron. The $55 prix fixe menu runs alongside an exhaustive list of wines from all over the world; instead of committing to just one, try one of CRU's famed wine flights to find your favorite vintage.
In the mood for some laid-back elegance? Bring your valentine to La Condesa for a romantic menu of specials featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients from Texas providers. Its exclusive seasonal menu can be enjoyed a la carte or as a shared plate experience to elevate your dinner favorites to the next level. Then, finish the night strong at La Condesa's adjacent bar, known for its specialty cocktails like the Alma Blanca or a classic pisco sour.
If simplicity is key and all you want is a touch of old world romance and some finger-licking good Neapolitan pizza, look no further than Numero 28. Treat your favorite person to a delicious southern Italian experience: indulge in fresh pastas, oven-fired pizzas, small plates and Italian wines served in a warm and intimate atmosphere.
Super Sweet Gifts Galore
There's no shortage of great gifts to shower upon your beloved. From artisanal soaps and spa products to unique jewelry and dapper menswear, you're sure to find something to surprise your valentine and/or #treatoself with this year. Take a gander at what's for sale in the 2SD this February:
Feather your nest with gorgeous, organic goods from Hacienda...
Keep your gent outfitted to the hilt with threads from League of Rebels...
Melt the stress away with apothecary products from Luxe Apothetique...
Set the mood for love with luxury goodies from Mercury Design Studio...
Inhale deeply and enjoy ultimate indulgence from milk + honey...
Knock 'em dead with retro-chic looks from Modcloth...
Get the "person who has everything" something cool from PRIZE...
Add a touch of color with local fave Rae Cosmetics...
Bejewel them (or yourself!) with baubles from Sikara & Co...
With HACIENDA's recent expansion into all things bedding, we thought it was only appropriate to ask shop owner, Jessica Beattie to give us her tips on how to make your bed look as stylish as the magazines.
1. Start with a simple fitted sheet- we're currently coveting our newest LinenMe sheets that are made in an incredible linen fabric available in a teal blue, raspberry and sunflower gold.
2. Lay your flat sheet pattern down (if there is a pattern). Then tuck in all sides.
3. Place your comforter over the flat sheet and fold both the flat sheet and comforter 1/3 of the way down the bed. Tuck your comforter in on all sides for a more polished look. We recommend a goose down comforter covered in our MixMax Barcelona jersey duvet.
4. After you've folded the comforter, place your largest pillows against your headboard. Traditionally this is your king size pillows.
5. Next, place either queen size or medium size pillows in front and center.
6. My favorite part, place a variety of decorative pillows in different sizes and textures in front of the medium pillows. I recommend our Aviva Stanof pillows with hand-painted silks, hand-stitched beads and dip dyed furs - each pillow is a work of art!
7. For more texture, I typically add a throw blanket at the foot of the bed. The versatility of the Hacienda Collection Turkish towels are perfect fit for the foot of the bed because they can be both decorative and functional.
HACIENDA Austin showcases locally sourced and globally inspired custom furnishings and curated gifts for the modern ranch lifestyle. Motivated by travels that took her from the Outback to the Arctic, owner, Jessica Beattie, has a keen eye for scouting well-designed objects that celebrate local artisans. In addition to a curated assortment of luxury brand goods including R&Y Augousti exotic leathers and fine European bed linens, discover our private label, HACIENDA Collection, ranging from Turkish towels to glassware to body care. Shop HACIENDA at our downtown Austin location, 204 Colorado St. Austin, TX 78701 or shop online at haciendacollection.com. For more information follow along on Instagram and Facebook.
**Guest Post by Lauren Whitehouse, ModCloth Fashion Publicist
ModCloth has set up shop in 2ND Street District! Now through Memorial Day, the online purveyor of unique indie and vintage-inspired styles and home goods is hosting a pop-up shop at 249 W. 2nd Street.
What can you find at ModCloth’s 2ND Street District shop?
- A curated collection of ModCloth styles, including dresses, separates, shoes, graphic tees, accessories, and unique home decor
- Exclusive swimwear available in a full range of sizes (up to 4X)
- One-of-a-kind vintage chosen especially for Austin (cowboy boots!)
- Offerings from 8 local Austin artists
- Graphic t-shirts, including a custom ModCloth x Austin tank, only available in-store
- Free personalized appointments with on-site ModStylists™ for expert fit and styling guidance (book an appointment)
- Free ModCloth Austin tote bag with any purchase
Everything we do at ModCloth is inspired and influenced by our vibrant online community, so we are relishing the opportunity to meet our fans ‘IRL’. Stop by the shop to snap a selfie and tag #ModClothIRL for a chance to win a $100 gift certificate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Stil searching for a few last minute gifts? This season, we've pulled a variety of items at some of our favorite boutiques and stores. We've rounded up some of our top picks at under $100. Find the perfect present for a co-worker, client, family member, loved one or friend. From embroidered cocktail napkins to jewelry - there's something for everyone in the 2ND Street District. Happy shopping!
Swirls, suede, and tons of embellishment: recent runways were filled with references to the "Haute Hippie." Set your Instagram filters to "1977" and catch Austin Rocks' Jasmine Gomez's take on one of this season's biggest trends.